home
German
English
Zur mobilen Version von www.oberursel.de
You are here:   Our Town   Parts of Town   Weißkirchen   History of Weißkirchen  

History of Weißkirchen

Weißkirchen
Weißkirchen

In 1250/1260 "Wizenkirchen" was first mentioned on the copy of a feudal register. Another source mentioned this village around 1171/1191. Finally, in 1980, the relevant date to determine the "real age" of Weißkirchen was set as 24 June 818 as people had first settled here way before 1171/1191. Weißkirchen and Oberursel have shared the same history as they used to be ruled by the same sovereigns.

During the Middle Ages the church in Weißkirchen was a type of subsidiary church of Krutzen (Crutzen) Church, which was located in the Kalbach fields. When Krutzen was deserted, at the latest in 1535, the subsidiary in Weißkirchen became the main church.

In 1524 the Reformation reached Weißkirchen, followed by the Counter-Reformation in 1604/1606. It was not until 1823 that children of Protestant faith were allowed to attend the local school. The Weißkirchen Protestants belonged to a parish in Kronberg until 1847 when a Protestant parish was finally established in Oberursel. In 1968 the Stierstadt/Weißkirchen parish, which had been established in 1955, eventually separated from the Oberursel parish. Since 1992 the local Protestant parish has been called Versöhnungsgemeinde (reconciliation parish).

In 1622 Weißkirchen was pillaged and burned. Several lootings took place during the Thirty Years' War between 1618 and 1648.

In 1780 the village consisted of 54 houses, three of which had been deserted.

In 1860 the "Homburger Bahn" (train line) from Frankfurt to Homburg started operations, stopping at Weißkirchen, followed in 1910 by the electrified tram line from Frankfurt to Hohemark, also stopping at Weißkirchen.

On 29 March 1945 WWII and the rule of the National Socialists ended when American troops marched into Weißkirchen. In February 1945 several people died when the train line and "Erste Süddeutsche Ceresinfabrik", founded in Weißkirchen in 1891, were hit in an air raid.

In 1965, the Stierstadt/Weißkirchen secondary school, which was later turned into a comprehensive school, was built. In 1966/1967 the primary school, which is still used today, was built.

In line with the Hesse Area Reform, Weißkirchen became a part of Oberursel on 1 April 1972. Since October 1972, an advisory council has been voicing and enforcing the interests of Weißkirchen within Oberursel.

These days Oberursel's major commercial area, Oberursel-Süd, is located just north of Weißkirchen along Zimmersmühlenweg. Quite a few major national and international companies are headquartered here.

At present Weißkirchen has about 5,200 residents.

By: Andrea Bott (Town Archive)

EHRENAMT

Infos zum Ehrenamt

short news

Eigenbetrieb Bau & Service der Stadt Oberursel warnt Grundstücksbesitzer vor falschen Kanalrohrsanierern

12. 12. 2017

Terminverschiebung Abfallentsorgung

12. 12. 2017

Aus dem Stadtarchiv: Runde Jubiläen im Jahr 2018 – Teil 2

11. 12. 2017

Veranstaltungen