home
German
English
Zur mobilen Version von www.oberursel.de
You are here:   Our Town   Parts of Town   Oberstedten   History of Oberstedten  

History of Oberstedten

Oberstedten
Oberstedten

In 817 a place named "Stedti" was first referenced in writing. In the early Middle Ages Stedten consisted of Oberstedten, Mittelstedten and Niederstedten.

In 1263 a place called Niederstedten ("Niederstetten") was first mentioned in records. After 1587 the village was deserted. In 1272 a place called Oberstedten was recorded and, finally, in 1303 there was reference to Mittelstedten ("mediocrem Stedin"). Mittelstedten was deserted around 1420. 

In the 13th century a noble man by the name of Wortwin von Stedten resided here. He built the fortress Hohenberg (Homburg), which he sold to Gottfried I. von Eppstein around 1200. In 1433 Oberstedten - and the fortress Hohenberg - came under the rule of  Gottfried III. von Eppstein, and from then on shared the same history with neighbouring Homburg. As of 1622, Oberstedten was governed by the House of Hesse-Homburg, and only as of 1866 - when Oberstedten came under the reign of the King of Prussia, was it ruled by the same sovereign as Oberursel.

Following Reformation, in 1526, the Protestant faith was introduced in Oberstedten. A church was built between 1706 and 1715, which is still used today. Extensive refurbishments took place in 1954/1955.

In 1622, during the Thirty Years' War, Oberstedten was looted but spared pillaging and burning. As a precaution against fire, a mandatory fire brigade was established in 1634. In 1907 this was replaced by a fire brigade of volunteers.

In 1813, when the Hohe Mark, a medieval forest cooperative once governed by Wortwin von Stedten, was dissolved, Oberstedten - along with the other participating villages - received its share of land.

In 1827, a new school was built and the old school house, which had been built in 1691/1693, was sold. In 1901 the school was remodelled and finally used as village hall between 1966 and 1972.

In 1848, Oberstedten experienced a revolution: the mayor and the head of the village government were ousted and new elections were held.

In 1909/1910, the Eduard und Adelheid Kann Foundation built a Jewish convalescent home. In 1935 and 1938, the home was vandalised and the patients were forced to leave. Since 1957 this former home has been housing the Reformhaus Academy (promoting a healthy way of life).

In 1936/1938, the Reichssiedlungshof (area where instructions on farming were given) was established and parts of it were then, in 1939, turned into "Dulag Luft" (interrogation centre of the German Armed Forces). Between 1945 and 1993, this area was used by the United States Armed Forces.

In 1964, St Petrus Canisius, the new Catholic church, was consecrated.

In line with the Hesse Area Reform, Oberstedten became a part of Oberursel on 1 April 1972. Since October 1972, an advisory council has been voicing and enforcing the interests of Oberstedten within Oberursel.

Today Oberstedten has about 7,000 residents.

By: Andrea Bott (Town Archive)

EHRENAMT

Infos zum Ehrenamt

short news

bluebox portstrasse: Preisgekrönte, sensible Liebesgeschichte im Dienstagskino

23. 02. 2018

Rabenschnabelgeschichten & Basteln

23. 02. 2018

Ausstellung, Vortrag und Internationales Frauenfrühstück zum Weltfrauentag 2018

23. 02. 2018

Veranstaltungen