home
German
English
Zur mobilen Version von www.oberursel.de
You are here:   Our Town   About Our Town  

About Our Town

Oberursel and the surrounding parts of town, which used to be independent villages, can look back over an eventful history.

Today, our town has about 45,000 residents.

The first reference to a settlement called "Ursella" is in a title deed of 791 AD recorded at the monastery in Lorsch.  The origin of the word Ursella implies that the settlement could date back 2000 to 3000 years.

Die Abbildung zeigt das Wappen von Oberursel

Under the reign of the House of Eppstein, Oberursel was granted town charter in 1444. At first a rural settlement, it developed into the most flourishing town of trade on the southern slopes of the Taunus until the start of the Thirty Years' War. In 1522 Erasmus Alberus, a humanist from the Wetterau Region, set up the first Latin School in Oberursel. When Oberursel fell under the reign of Duke Ludwig of Stolberg-Königstein in 1535, he brought the Reformation to our town. In 1557 Nicolaus Henricus set up a printer's press to issue Lutheran pamphlets. Then, in 1604/05, the population of Oberursel reverted back to the Catholic faith; there was no Protestant service until 1847. Oberursel's medieval prosperity was based on cloth making and cloth trading.

During the Thirty Years' War Oberursel was burned down twice, in 1622 and in 1645, and only three houses remained. The number of residents declined by about 1,600 to roughly 600. Trade and craft shops were in ruins. In the era that followed, numerous mills (for processing grains and oilseeds and tanning hides), tanneries, steel-grinding mills as well as iron and copper forges were established along the Ursel Brook. The once prosperous cloth making and cloth trading businesses never regained their pre-war significance.

When the cotton-spinning mill was founded at the Hohe Mark in 1858, the Industrial Revolution had arrived in Oberursel. More factories were to follow soon. By mid to late 1900's, Oberursel had become "the most industrialised town in our country" (then Hesse-Nassau).

In 1860 the train line connecting Frankfurt and Bad Homburg via Oberursel was opened, followed by a minor line to "Hohe Mark" in 1899.

In 1919 Oberursel had 7,999 residents.
In 1929 Bommersheim became a part of Oberursel. During World War II, Oberursel was spared from major air raids. In 1972, Oberstedten, Stierstadt and Weißkirchen became parts of Oberursel. The number of residents increased by about 25,000 to roughly 37,000.

After 1945, trade and industry were soon booming again. Banks and insurance companies settled in Oberursel. Schools were built, residential areas developed and new roads constructed. Various recreation facilities were created, and large parts of the town-owned forest were turned into a recreation area ensuring better protection. A public indoor swimming pool was built right beside the scenic public outdoor swimming pool, and old people's homes and youth centres were established.

In the early 1970s, Oberursel embarked on an ambitious programme to restore its historic old part of town. Private home owners and the local administration tackled this large-scale restoration project together to cover the enormous costs. In the centre of town, roads were closed to traffic to create pedestrian areas, and culture and administration were firmly settled in a central location  (Rathaus/town hall in 1976, Stadthalle/local culture and conference centre in 1984). In 1991, Oberursel celebrated a milestone anniversary as it had been 1200 years since the town was first mentioned in records.

Favourably located, Oberursel is a very popular place to work and live. It is surrounded largely by fields and meadows, and the Taunus forests touch the northern parts of our town. Oberursel has a busy calendar of events and diverse clubs to get involved in. The highlights of the year include the Brunnenfest (Fountain Festival), with people meeting and celebrating in cosy yards around the market square, and the Kerb (commemorating the consecration of St. Ursula's Church). And don't miss the Taunus Carnival Parade on Carnival Sunday (usually in February).

Oberursel is a town worth living in that you will love to call home.


For more information about our town's history, please visit:

Vortaunus Museum
Marktplatz 1, Open on Wednesdays 10 am - 5 pm, Saturdays 10 am - 4 pm, Sundays 2 pm - 5 pm
 
Verein für Geschichte und Heimatkunde
Link to the website of our local history club
 
Town Archive
Schulstraße 32, open Mondays 8 am - 12 pm and 2 pm - 5.30 pm, Wednesdays 8 am - 12 pm and 1 pm - 4 pm, Fridays 8 am - 12 pm
 

EHRENAMT

Infos zum Ehrenamt

short news

7. STADTRADELN in Oberursel: 96.358 km erradelt und 13.683 Kilogramm CO2 gespart!

21. 09. 2017

Terminverschiebung Abfallentsorgung

20. 09. 2017

bluebox portstrasse: Frauenpower im Kino + Frühstücksbuffet am Sonntag

19. 09. 2017

Veranstaltungen